Thursday, October 21, 2010

Let me share more than you want to know

fall

I came home on Monday and it had turned to fall for real here. It was kind of weird being away for three weeks and BAM coming back. The trees are turning colors and it is getting cold. Dr. Food put all my fruit trees in the house because it is starting to frost at night. Anyhow, I am out of sorts. I tried to take pictures for a post tonight and lost all the pictures. Dr Food had my camera in his backpack at work and I tried to use my phone. So, since that didn't work and I haven't been too into cooking the last couple of nights I thought I would share with you who I am.

cicken

I am a huge knitter (I mean knitting all the time when I am not cooking) and I made a chicken leg hat for fun.

9557246_7fe3894bc5_m

I owned a yarn shop named Yarn! (I thought the name was hysterical and it was really funny when kids would walk by and yell YARN!!!!). It was in California and it got Best of the Bay Area in San Francisco Magazine.

9925137_4d57bbb5d4_m

I was at a party with Timothy Leary a week before he died. He told me that after he died he would contact me on the internet (at the time I was a Webmaster for RAND). He never contacted me.

Larry 035

I am a aunt to a Lemur. His name is Larry and Dr Food wouldn't let me have him but my friend has him.

IMG_0251

I collect boots.

IMG_0233

I have tried to grow a redwood burl about 10 times and I always kill them. Yes, I know, you don't know what a redwood burl is. Don't ask.

fhm111

I want a miniature cow but Dr. Food won't let me have one (do we see a theme here?)

Frank

Halloween is my favorite holiday but this year I am too tired to do anything.

Doggy is done

I had a Saint Bernard named Lily in California. She died on her way out to New England. She was 9 years old.

Home home home

I lived in a 150 year old Victorian House in Northern California before I moved to New England.

Mona the camel

I kissed a camel.


Pasta recipe that I made for dinner:

Pasta and Shrimp

Box of Wheat Pasta
1lb Shrimp
1 can Anchovies
3Tbl Olive Oil
Red Pepper Flakes (to taste)
2 Tbl Minced Garlic
Grated Parmesan Cheese

Make pasta according to directions. Saute garlic and anchovies until anchovies dissolve. Throw in shrimp and saute until shrimp is cooked (about 7 minutes). Drain pasta and add to the shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese.

I swear I will do better this weekend. We are going to go pick up our lamb (yes, Dr food will let me have a whole lamb if it means we are going to eat it. He was raised on farms.)

19 comments :

  1. reading this post has made me miss you like crazy! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I love this post. I really really like getting TMI..because I don't consider it that.We are soooo similar it's bizarre! Really. Never met Leary but I was at a party with Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters eons ago and we knew Dennis Hopper because when we lived in LA we all ate lunch in the same place in Venice every day. I am also a knitter and I love that chicken hat!!! You need to wear that hat. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're funny, I really enjoy your blog : ) You won't seriously slaughter the little lamby will you??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post. I was afraid of what I was going to be reading when I saw the title! Love the chicken hat. I too love knitting but I have a stupid commute which eats up way too much time... Sorry about your dog. Very sad. And living in New England you can never have too many boots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this TMI post, but really, it wasn't TMI it was just right. I loved that you shared those personal little things with us! I would totally wear that chicken hat (I crocheted a hat several years ago, in northern CA, that resembles that hat pretty closely-minus the chicken legs and it was green. Everyone made fun of me for wearing it, but I didnt' care.) Your dog Lily was so precious! That is really sad. And I loved your 150 year old house! So cute. Thanks for sharing this Janis. Always love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That wasn't too much ... I want more!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are all so kind!

    Trix: No you don't. Don't encourage me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the chicken hat! It looks just like the one you had hanging in your kitchen a bit ago...LOL. And an Aunt to a Lemur? Now my face hurts LMAO. What in heaven's name would you do with a miniature cow? Who cares. Get one, because I would love to see the stories that would come out of that. Have you tried begging Dr. Food? Does he succumb to peer pressure? Careful with that camel...once I saw that picture I was triggered and immediately brought back to "an incident" at the zoo when I was a kid. All I will say is no I wasn't teasing the camel and yes there was a lot of spit involved.
    - Butter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it, I want one of those chicken hats! I don't think I would have gotten that close to a camel!
    -GIna-

    ReplyDelete
  10. YOu are gorgeous! I hope to meet you one day and visit your crazy life

    ReplyDelete
  11. Butter: I have tried more than begging Dr Food for these animals. I also wanted chickens for the eggs but no go. I had bad Camel experiences before too. This camel was named Mona and she was sweet.

    WFDASL: Camels get a bad rap. I have a Saint Bernard so spit doesn't bother me.

    Penny: I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your post and all that you shared. Your dog looked so wonderful. I am so sorry you lost him.

    I love your chicken hat. What a fun thing to wear.

    I hope you feel settled now wherever you are. Keep us posted, it's fun learning about others. We should start a blog just to learn about each others lives outside of food.

    ReplyDelete
  13. good to finally get to know you....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Janis, Great post. I'm gonna' take a stab at this but I bet many of us have similar stuff going on but think it's really not that interesting. I think the more interests we have and things we've done that are not the usual "everyday" stuff makes us more interesting. Hat's off to you Janis :)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1.) Nice chicken leg hat!
    2.) Boots of all kinds rock (I don't want my motorcycle boots to get upset) but cowboy boots are the best.
    3.) All the coolest people know that Halloween is the best Holiday of the year and I have decided that it should come with a feast like Thanksgiving, since it is the one Holiday that really, really deserves one.
    4.) I'm pretty sure that a miniature cow could be sold as being the same size that Lily was, I'd try that tactic on Dr. Food.
    5.) Camels need love too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Foodthinking: I have tried the "Lily was the size of a miniature cow" tactic. Didn't work but I did get another Saint Bernard.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I figured you probably had! Oh, I love the new layout/color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the chicken hat! The frogs were having a good laugh ;o) I hope you enjoy the lamb.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the chicken hat! It looks just like the one you had hanging in your kitchen a bit ago...LOL. And an Aunt to a Lemur? Now my face hurts LMAO. What in heaven's name would you do with a miniature cow? Who cares. Get one, because I would love to see the stories that would come out of that. Have you tried begging Dr. Food? Does he succumb to peer pressure? Careful with that camel...once I saw that picture I was triggered and immediately brought back to "an incident" at the zoo when I was a kid. All I will say is no I wasn't teasing the camel and yes there was a lot of spit involved.
    - Butter

    ReplyDelete