Thursday, October 28, 2010

Halloween wouldn't be Halloween without my favorite Pumpkin Seeds

Halloween time

First off I have to say that I feel a little guilty not decorating for Halloween this year. Habtamu (my sweetie pie neighbor) came running into my house and asked "where are the bones?" No bones this year. So, here is our butler that we usually have up (along with boxes and boxes of other stuff) during Halloween. This is at the old house and looks like we were just unpacking him for Halloween. So what did I do this year?

IMG_3858

We bought two pumpkins just for the seeds. I have to make my seeds. I felt a little guilty so I started to carve one of them. I had an idea to do "Food" on one of them and "Buzz" on the other. I thought this might get me into the top 9 for once (ok twice, I did land there ONCE). No such luck.

IMG_3859

I got F...O done and that is when my attention span went elsewhere. I let my mind wander and my mind said "Uh, what the hell you doing? Why are you wasting your time?" So instead:

IMG_3857

I scooped out the pumpkin and proceeded making my favorite recipe for seeds.

IMG_3856

Here are the unadorned seeds. I love pumpkin seeds more than almost any other snack food. I eat so many of them that sometimes I go back to being 5 years old in my head (wait, maybe that is senile and not going back to 5) and I think that perhaps these seeds might sprout a pumpkin in my gut. THAT is why my stomach looks like that!

IMG_3860

Magic potion thrown on the seeds and bake for about an hour total (turning in between).

ABRACADABRA (is that how you spell it?)

IMG_3863


ABRACADABRA Pumpkin Seeds (Can you tell I made the name up?) I don't remember where I got this recipe.
Printable Version

2 cups Pumpkin Seeds
2 Tbl Melted Butter
Garlic Salt
1 Tbl Worcestershire Sauce



Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.

Clean pumpkin seeds and spread onto pan. Put in oven to dry for about 15 minutes.

Stir the pumpkin seeds and butter together, in a large mixing bowl, and add the other ingredients. Stir until everything is well combined, then again spread the pumpkin seeds in one layer on a baking sheet.

Bake for 30 minutes and then turn seeds. Bake for another 30 minutes and then remove from oven and let cool.

These roasted pumpkin seeds can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 6 weeks.

(Makes 2 Cups)

Oh yeah, can you vote for me to be a food ninja? Just go here:

Food-Ninjas-Unite

16 comments :

  1. Janis, you make my day! This post is definitely Top 9 in my book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Hallowen, wish i had chance to spend 1 hallowen with u all:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pumpkin seeds too, could eat them all day long. I have tried several new recipes this year, but I want to try one more, this one! Thanks for a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Perfect to munch on while watching a scary mooovie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janis you crack me up every time I pop in for a visit. If you make a dessert I think you have a better chance of getting into top 9. It seems to me they have a sweet tooth over there. -Mary
    Ps I love your butler!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love these, always a hit here will try the word I cant spell or pronouce worcheshire sauce!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha - love that Butler. He looks how I feel ha-ha.
    I have a pumpkin in the hallway waiting to be carved and for me to try the seed recipe...will let you know how it goes!Voted...for the #1 Ninja!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahahahaha! I don't know what happened, I actually made Top9 today and had to race over here and tell you, because it's been about three months since I was on the list and it's not even a dessert AND it's one of the LEAST popular posts I've done in a looooong time. It's beets after all. I can't figure it out!
    ~Mary
    I'm running over to vote for you on Food Ninja.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha - you totally spelled abracadabra correctly! And more importantly, those seeds look fantatic. They are also one of my favorite things in the world! (And go Rangers!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish you all were around for a Halloween party. I imagine that we all would have a really good time. Although last year I drank one too many Candy Corn Martini's. Ew.

    Rich: You better eat some before they are all gone. Pffft...Go Rangers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love roasted pumpkin seeds. Not much on the decorating thing, but I can handle all the food goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a regular Rocky Horror Picture Show my friend! Love the butler. Love the seeds. I'm going to have a lot of those seeds tomorrow good to know what to do with them

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your coating for the pumpkin seeds - what a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a regular Rocky Horror Picture Show my friend! Love the butler. Love the seeds. I'm going to have a lot of those seeds tomorrow good to know what to do with them

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your coating for the pumpkin seeds - what a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete