Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A drive to the farm and big meat day!

IMG_3845

We made arrangements to pick up our lamb from Leyden Glen Farm. The farm is run and owned by Mark Duprey and Kristin Nicholas and of course their daughter Julia. I love going up here. Not only do I get to wander on the farm and see the sheep but I get to talk about all the things I love with Kristin. Cooking and Knitting being the two favorite pass times of mine.

IMG_3828

The drive up to the farm was really pretty. This year isn't as good as last year for the change of colors but it still blows me away having come from California and never having seen anything like this.

IMG_3840

It was a bit of a rainy day but it didn't matter.

IMG_3841

I got to see sheep (sorry about the photo - we were driving). I got my lamb and I also got to gab with Kristin about cookbooks and knitting and all that good stuff. I also got to visit the last of her vegetable garden and was gifted with leeks and kale.

IMG_3853

IMG_3852

This kale isn't like the one I am growing. This is an Italian heirloom also known as ‘Nero di Tosca’, ‘Tuscan Black’ or ‘Dinosaur’. We had this for dinner last night and I have a new favorite vegetable. I liked this even more than I like chard.

IMG_3847

Next off we ate at one of my favorite little stops to eat. It is called the Wagon Wheel. Great fresh and local food. I can't say enough good things about it.

IMG_3849

Yum, we both had the Gyro.

Back on home...

IMG_3851

So now we have a freezer stocked for the winter (if it last us that long). I know that people have thought it was "mean" to be getting a whole lamb but I think it is probably the kindest way to get our food. I know that these animals were raised with love and treated well. So, unless I become a vegetarian (which isn't going to happen with Dr. Food in the house) I feel much better eating this way than going to the grocery store and getting meat.

IMG_3854

Next off we had a venison roast that our neighbor had given us. It has been in the freezer for a while and when I saw the recipe for "Corned Venison" on Hank Shaw's website, I knew we had to give it a try.


IMG_3812

A brine is made to soak the venison roast in.

IMG_3814

It is then tucked away in the refrig for a week. Our week isn't up so I will keep you posted on the results.

IMG_3855

Stayed tuned for lots of lamb recipes as well!

IMG_3843

9 comments :

  1. Oh, the photos of the foliage are GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exceptionally pretty!
    I like the wall decor at Wagon Wheel.
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we should be cooking and knitting friends! =) Looks like a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with getting a whole animal from a place where you know what it ate and how it was treated! Awesome! I am trying to get a nice big freezer so we can do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you're doing this! We buy our meat locally too. I bought a big garage freezer when we moved to Sonoma, it was something I'd always wanted. I'm about to buy some yarn and start knitting again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily: It is the best part of New England

    Lori: The Wagon Wheel rocks!

    Belinda: Ok! You on Ravelry?

    Foodies: Big extra freezers are the best.

    Kathy: Start Knitting! Are you on Ravelry? You can see some stuff I have knit there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I would not do for some of that Kale!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we should be cooking and knitting friends! =) Looks like a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exceptionally pretty!
    I like the wall decor at Wagon Wheel.
    LL

    ReplyDelete