Wednesday, July 14, 2010

When you are bored make Peanut Butter!

IMG_2969

I am bored today. I sat down and read my new Chef Crush's book (Hell's Kitchen Cookbook and NO not THAT Hell's Kitchen it is Mitch Omer's Hells Kitchen [and Mitch was first]). In the book (which was a great read) was a recipe for Peanut Butter. I decided to give it a try.

IMG_2971

I roasted the peanuts.

IMG_2974

Did all the other stuff to it too.

IMG_2975

There ya have it. Only one problem... I hate peanut butter. Yes, I am one of those freaks that don't like it. I made it because Mitch had the recipe and I wanted to make something from the book. I didn't have a brisket or I would have made Corned Beef. Oh, the ribs. Did I tell you how I still dream about the RIBS? well it is raining outside (yeah, I hate this New England weather) and I can't BBQ. So, I made the peanut butter and I am also adapting something else for tonights dinner. You will just have to wait to see what it is. I bet you are excited. Right?

Oh! Buy my crushes book. Also you can buy this Peanut Butter if you don't want to make it.

I gave the stuff I made to my neighbor. I kept some to show Dr. Food, but he hates peanut butter too. Two freaks that were meant for each other.

Mitch’s World-Famous Peanut Butter
Excerpted from Damn Good Food
Makes about four cups

3 cups salted Spanish peanuts, skins on
6 tablespoons honey
5 tablespoons light brown sugar
2½ teaspoons kosher salt
7 tablespoons peanut oil
5 tablespoons unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Shake peanuts onto a rimmed baking sheet, and place on the center rack of the oven.

Roast 25 minutes. Rotate the pan 180 degrees, and roast another 25 minutes, checking occasionally. Peanuts should be dark brown when done. (If they look like espresso coffee beans, well, you fucked up. Start over.) Remove from the oven, and let cool to room temperature.

Place peanuts in a food processor fitted with a steel chopping blade, and process on low until finely ground, about 30 seconds. Do not overblend; you want the peanut butter chunky, not grainy.

Dump ground peanuts into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle. Add honey, brown sugar, and salt, and blend on low speed until thickened and well mixed, about 1 minute.

Add peanut oil and butter to the food processor, and blend on low until completely emulsified, about 11 seconds. Scrape oil and butter into peanut mixture, and mix on low until smooth and creamy.

Spoon peanut butter into a container with a tight-fitting lid.

Will keep at room temperature for up to 4 weeks. After setting for a while, some of the oil may rise to the surface; simply mix this back in before serving.

3 comments :

  1. I adore peanut butter. This recipe looks way better than the kinds you get in the grocery store, and I know my peanut butter! Heeheehee. I used to get my own jar when I was growing up cuz my mom HATED it when I licked the knife. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am crazy for peanut butter!!! Love love love it!!!You did a fabulous job as soon as they get that bullet train built from sonoma to boston i'll be over for a pbj sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of making homemade peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete